Monday, March 2, 2015

Swords down

I'm competitive by nature.  I love to win.  I will fearlessly throw down with anyone who hates on the Georgia Bulldogs, the US Olympic athletes, or my favorite Food Network competitive chefs.  I have a fierce loyalty to the competitor of my choosing, and I will sit firmly at their side-- win or lose.

But there is a problem with this... see, sometimes I allow my competitive nature to bleed into my faith.  And all of the characteristics that make me an excellent fan are superimposed onto the things that I believe, and they make me an awful Christian.   Wow, even writing that hurt.  But, sadly, I believe that it is true.  And I believe that it is not only true for me, but true for many in the faith community.  We cling to what we believe like a cause-- and we will battle beneath our flag to the detriment of community, mutual respect and love.

I've seen this present in my sphere for a while, but it has become more evident with the passing of time... and so, I (reluctantly) am trying to release my flag.  Lay down my sword.  And embrace that it is not how I fight, but how I love that most represents my convictions.

I am tired. I want to believe for better. I want to hope for better. It feels better than winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment